Monday, December 10, 2007

Hyderabad10k 2007


Hyderabad 10k. i was familar with this name since Nov 2005 when i saw a banner in Imax mall during a visit to imax during my early days in hyderabad. I wanted to run to win, but that was to prepare for a long distace after about 11 years. In 1994 porbably in sep/oct i won the cross country race in school after that i proceeded no furhter in athlectics as Computers,Networks,Software technoparks and Spiralling Businesses were my areas of intrest,during the next 11 years after the cross country race i walked distances like 13 Kms ie( Kasaragod town to Povval -North Kerala) , i ran behind buses to board the running buses, i ran behind trains to board a running train which spectators later objected me. I walked Kannur and Kasaragod (Kerala, India) railway coridors with heavy luggage to chase my Targets and Dreams.I walked a lot, I developed a liking to walking. "Winners never quit","Where there is a will there is a way", "Strive to succeed" ,I can say many more.I walked a lot during those 11 years of my Life after school which i spent on Business and studies together. But it turned me around to Hyderabad in Oct 2005, to be correct i landed in Hyderabad on 22 Oct. Joining in Genpact was exciting but above all there was someone in Hyderabad who was my inspiration to move into Hyderabad.Hyderabad 10k was one good way to go ahead with my Launch in hyderabad but that did not happen and my inspiration left hyderabad on Dec 6 2005. As i was comfortable with walking i even walked from Secunderabad to Habsiguda about 8Km ,I always walked back home after night shifts i was neither frightened of darkness,nor lazy to walk during initial days policemen would question me, but later they got accustomed to seeing a lonely walker in St no 8.

Hyderabad 10k of 2006 went almost unnoticed except about the registration facility in Genpact Cafeteria however it did not raise the excitement to cross threshold to participate in the run.But i made certain conquests of my own Judgement ie to walk from Punjagutta to Cyber gateway , and also an intention to walk from Uppal to Cybergateway. Which did not happen as situations did not demand and I didn't want to display weird strengths.There was a email communication inviting employees to participate in Hutch Delhi Marathon but the program incharge Rachana Gupta hardly knew anything more than the email and refused to talk, but that finished with a call conference, and Rachana Gupta dissapeared.Hutch Marathon happened the way it should have been but without my participation.But lately after the hyderabad 10k 2007 i heard that for the previous delhi hutch marathon they did not have runners,despite offering flight tickets to delhi.Perhaps allotment is to those who don't need it.There was also some program conducted by a hospital which was a awareness program on Heart diseases but i could not turn up for that due to office work.

Hyderabad 10k of 2007, it ignited me when i attended a Health fitness initiative Program when Shashank mentioned about Warun Nayar exisiting record of 1hr 7Mins and his present intention to set a new record to 1 hour. I made up my mind to Run the Hyderabad 10k, after checking up the website i had decided to run the Half marathon and i started my Practice.

This is about the Revival of my Long distance running.
On 1st nov i ran on the Threadmill for 30mins and then Cycling for 30 mins and then stepper for sometime.
I began to experience pain around my Knee.
On 2nd i walked on the Threadmill for 90 mins @ grade 12 and speed 10Kms.I walked and avoided running for my Knee Recovery.
On 5th Nov at 6:20 i started to run from Survey of India,Uppal by the time i reached Genpact my knee was paining and i reached Tarnaka at 6:40 and i proceeded to run via meetiguda and then i reached near marredpally at 7:10 i suppose and then my knee was paining too bad but i had a desire to run 26 Kms ie to Cyber gateway with a determination i continued to run i manged to cross Begumpet and futher to Life style but by the time i reached the overbridge @ lifestyle i could not raise my Right leg so i had to drag my right foot and cross the Bridge and then continue to walk and i had gulped two bottles of maaza and continued to walk, it was walking with left foot and dragging the right foot via ammerpe and banjara hill to cyber towers and finally cybergateway @ 10:50 and then drink a glass of juice and return to bus stop and then return to Uppal by bus.

For a few days i was handicapped with my right leg and then the pain on my right leg was almost gone, but i could not run thus the practices were mental and not physical.

I had made up my mind to run the 10Km instead of the 21Km run.

On 18th Nov after my French class at Marredpally i walked to secunderabad railway station and started to walk towards Cybergateway , i started from secunderabad at 3:10 and reached cybergateway at 6:40 i spend about 20 mins there seeking an alternate to leave my bag with someone and then collect it later at uppal but no luck so i proceed from cybergateway @ 6:50 and then walked all the way and reached uppal at 11:40 thus a conquest of an estimated 45 Kms on foot was Recorded before myself.

On 23rd after noon i took 2 painkillers to keep the pain at bay during the run.

On 25th Nov at 4:30 am i left uppal in Varun Goud's car after a massage by Tojo we reached there at people's plaza by 5:30 and it was already crowded with stout looking athletes whose Height and Structure indicates an aura of speed and stamina i missed the flag off of 21Km run , people's plaza was getting crowded by every minute and finally the bib or chest numbers were distributed , i was given 19292.whole area was crowded , later i read reports which mentioned that 34,000 had registered and 30,000 had participated. A group of us were waiting @ gate 5 and the 10k run was flagged of and somehow i managed to get into the swarm of runners and start to advance myself and i remember overtaking warun nayar and running past lumbini park when i saw probably jack tihara in green shorts and green sweatshirt galloping past me like a stallion, the Necklace road which is a broad road atleast around Lumbini park and it was littered with runners when he ran past like a footballer takling opponents and going past , he went around zig zag crossing people and in a speed which made me compare him to a stallion. I was going at a steady speed and i was gradually overtaking many but his advancement crushed me and made me feel i should give up. Now my knee started to pain but with a determination i continued to run and i started to slow down but still running there were some who ran past me some were kids, some were probably athletes while there were also many from police and army i guess.
I was dragging my right foot and running with my left foot then at a point i fell but i got up almost as qucikly as i fell and continued to run and then when i saw the green carpet at the finishing point i sprinted, i sprinted like a 100 mts dash covering about 4 or 5 runners before me and as i crossed i caught hold a person by his hand and asked him for time , he showed me his watch but i somehow could not read the time on that dial as it was facing him and thus i repeated " what is the time ?" he replied 8:10 , then i asked "when was it started ?" he replied 7:25 , i calculated 45 mins then i looked at his face it was Gopichand the badminton player, i smiled and left the scene , 10 Km in 45 mins was not bad after a Knee sprain and a fall during the run. I did notice anyone from Genpact who crossed me while running and i was searching for anyone around, i walked inside the people's plaza to find no one and when i returned i saw Umesh rane just finished and sitting down at the pavement.I enquired about the presence of others who finished the race but he hadn't seen any.In a short while Warun Nayar finshed the race in Grace and Style in 55 mins. in a short while ratnamala rao finished the race along with Ajith Padhi and later or before my friend warun goud also finshed, in a short while we were forming a crowd with satish parichuri, jayesh barai,anupama kothapalli and many more all heaving a sign of relief and achievement.I remembered warun nayar's popular quote " when was the last time that you did something for the first time ?"
when Jack Tihara ran past me i thought Long distance run was not worth a serious effort.But 10Km in 45 Mins and First from Genpact Honour Inspired me to Run Further I had decided to run the Mumbai Full Marathon 43Km or 26 Miles as westerners call it.This decision was made within half an hour after completing the hyderabad10k.


I happen to come across the Reults of the Hyderbad10K 2007 both the 21Km & 10Km

http://www.hyderabad10k.com/results2007/RepOverrall21.htm

http://www.hyderabad10k.com/results2007/RepOverrall10.htm

From the timings here i suppose i would be ranking around 73rd postion in 10km Run as i had clocked it in 45 mins.But going thorugh the list i come across so many young girls and young boys who have done very well.
but again it is the ranking of people who ran with the chip i suppose as i am unable to find my Race no 19292
instead it shows a series of numbers from 2**** maybe that was the series of numbers given to athletes with Timing Chip. Those of us who ran as Part of corporate team ( not corporate challange ) are not included in the list, but initially the mention of 'details not collected made me think otherwise.A postion of (73 + number of runners without chip within 45 mins in 10Km).
On January 12th during Igrind a company Townhall i was rewarded by a momento by Warun nayar.It was an honour to receive the Momento from one Great Man like Warun Nayar.When i recall about the factor that inspired me to commit to running hyderabad10k - Warun nayar was a factor behind me running the Hyderabad10k 2007 although i had an intention to run in 2005 , in warun's language monkey kept me away from running. Reasons are many from Good shoes, tracksuit, practice to ...........

Warun nayar is well known for his initiatives like Anti smoking Campaign , Fitness @ IT services and many more. For some reasons his initiatives and his famed powerpoint presentations are Inspiring and has resulted in fellow employees making an effort to quit smoking and there was an improvement in the Gym attendance.
I have read in a marathon blog by Tanvir Karzmi a runner from Delhi that "The marathon, it has been said, is a journey, not a destination. This blog shares the experiences of my journey towards my first Marathon, and maybe many more beyond that."

These blogs do serve some purpose as i have received a mail from warun nayar's friend who lost contact with him, and wanted me to connect him to warun nayar.

8 comments:

Abdullah Shahid said...

nicely stated

VH said...

Very Good write-up... Long one too. Lots of information err secrets revealed I suppose.
Whose is that inspiration..? ;)

Pallavi said...

Zanil you are a wonderful writer. And All the best for Mumbai Marathon

Lavanya Achanta said...

Amazing write up.

baijusoni said...

Zanil - Nicely stated. It attracts reader to read it. All the best for your next RUN...Journey.
May God Bless You.

fittness said...

Nice blog.
I am trying to take part in hyd 10k this time, how to know the results of the previous races. The links u gave in the blog are not working. What can be a good time record to be in the Top 10.

can you please reply me on my mail, seshanaveen@gmail.com

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

LONGDISTANCERUN search

Custom Search

Visitors

free counters