Saturday, January 26, 2008

Preparation for Mumbai Marathon 2008


Mumbai Full Marathon 2008 I had completed the Hyderabad 10k on 25th November in 45 Mins which was an achievement to me for the fact that i had returned to long distance run after 13 years and i had run the 10km with a Sprained Knee , a fall during the run and the last lap sprint on the Green carpet to finish the race made me feel that i could do better ,to associate myself with long distance run was inspiring . Above all i was the first from my group thus inspirations, ambitions, deteminations rise and i made a vow to run the Famed Mumbai Marathon.This decision was taken in less than an hour after completing the hyderabad 10k.For almost 2 days i had pain on my right knee and it continued but the pain was not felt while walking and the pain while running continued several days including the eve of Mumbai Marathon.I began to search for details from the net when i came across the official website of Mumbai Marathon and checked for the details and i planned to run the Mumbai Full Marathon.On the 4th December i walked 45 kms ie Secunderabad to Cybergateway and returned from Cybergateway via Secunderabad to Uppal to complete a total of 45 Kms, This was a endurance test but I did not run to avoid further injury to my Knee.But about Registration i thought i would do later as i wanted to run the 43K or 26miles or popular Mumbai Full Marathon.But 43K run is easy to say than do it so there was a inclination to skip to 21K or Half Marathon but i was informed by my Colleague Umesh Rane on 6th Dec that the last date for registration is on 8th Dec and also informed me that Registration is not a sureity to a Confirmed Entry.It was a Hard decision making with Rane suggesting me to enrol for Half Marathon instead of Full Marathon and cautioned me about difficulties in running after 20Kms but i was inclined to and i madeup my mind to register for 43K on 6th dec itself and registerd online identification number 270067543 and i received a reply with the identification number 270067543 they mentioned to check the entry status post Dec 15th. The email showed the countdown 045:05:13:06 days/hours/minutes/seconds .After that i did workout in the Gym on the Treadmill by walking on its Highest grade 20 at speed of 6.5 km and infact on 6th i walked on the treadmill for a total of 2hrs 15 mins on almost entirely on grade 20 and almost entirely on 6.5 Km speed , but i had read about fierce warriors doing 300 Kms a week and 6 days a week they were from the Army and they were also registerd for http://www.thegreatestrace.com/ , but all i wish to say is it don't scare me , I will run.Past few days i have not done anything,solely for a quick Knee recovery.I have been closely watching the countdown now it is 038:04:10:30 days/hours/minutes/seconds. Now my practice is more by reading the blogs and surfing the net on Mumbai Marathon and consuming 'citrus' for the Ligaments to recover. I drank citric acid in its concentrated form with sugar it was hard to swallow.I wish to run the Mumabi Full Marathon 2008I hope to update the Blog with further details on my practice post 15th Dec.Fellow runners do update me about .......On Today the 13th dec when i was out to have my dinner i happened to come across the Senior officials to whom i report to my Hyderabad10k In 45min has brought me fame।And as usual i expressed my intention to run the Mumbai Full Marathon 2008. These days i have been replying to everyone on orkut or Gmail about my intention to Run the Mumbai Full Marathon 2008 , i guess i have had more publicity than i deserve at this point of time. Like a prayer i write here " i hope my Pelvic,knees,and ankles are strong enough to endure the run of 43Kms and i Hope to do my 45 Km walk on sunday the 16th and ....." I need to do it to save myself from disappointing of my wellwishers.I have registered on the Delhi runners Group a mailing group.15th Dec and 16th Dec was two bad days as after resting for for almost two weeks and havind my legs to be comfortable for walking and climbing stairs i had to do a little of Footboard travelling and it wa on One foot that has brought things back to square One but i decided to go ahead after continuing with the foot relaxing posture and swallowing concentrated Lemon extract .....
I had my french 3rd level exam on 16th
My French Exam - Quelle catastrophe
Target 300+ Km in 6 days a week
On Dec 17th @ 4:00 am i started my rigourous practice to Walk a 53 Km. I walked from Survey of India Uppal to Cybergateway and back thus a Total of 53 Km in 7 Hours and 45 Mins. But this Time there was no bag on my Shoulders and when i checked my Timing @ secunderabad it was only 6 hours and 45 mins for the approximately 43 Kms.Now i will wish to push this speed of 7.5 Kms/Hr to 8.x Km/hr and in this week i should do 6 days a week and around 318 Kms.Once my Knee is recovered i should be able to get my runnning speed to anything between 2.5 times to 3 times my walking speed.On Dec 18th @ 4:00 i started to repeat the previous experience with a change of Shoes but that did not help much instead my timing went down to 8hours :45 Mins but @ the 43Km mark it was almost 6hours and 50 or so,but it delayed to reach the 53Km.I also happened to meet Dr Rama , in about 1 hour i would be starting my next journey and on completing i would be meeting him again, there should be something that i could do to my leg to RUN the Mumbai MarathonOn 19th Dec my experience was fine in reaching upto Cyber gateway I reached there in almost 3 hours and 50 mins thus touching the First day speed ,but hell broke Loose as I had to walk Barefooted due to a shoe bite i had Blisters formed on my toe abd the Right Sole was paining as though loosing my foot structure.
Return journey on barefoot was an experience of a Lifetime.Barefooted journey from Cyber Towers to Uppal which comprised of freshly tarred road with small sharp stones .They are no Good for a barefoot pedestrian as these small rocks poke the soles of your feet and sometimes even stick to it making it a more strenuous excercise as you have to clear your feet occasionaly. On occasions i did feel pain that made me stop and shake my legs i finally reached in 9hours : 45 minsBut a Feat of walking 26 Kms on Barefoot was accomplished.In around 1 Hour my next attempt would begin.20th Dec I started @ 3:00 pm to reach Cybergateway in 3 Hours : 48 Mins but the starting point was changed thus about 1/2Km was lesser. but on Return it turned out to be 9hours : 30 Mins , and a remarkable observation is made since 18th on return there have been pain on the Heel or Sole of the Feet, 18th it was thought that it could be due to change of shoes, and 19th again. But then shoe was thought of as the reason , and shoe was changed but now it is assumed that it could be else probably overworked feet. The pain was severe , i am constrained to take rest for the following day and the pain on the knee has surfaced again which had been the biggest obstacle since the begining.Pain so intensive that i am to led to think that i may not be able to run on Monday as per my schedule.Thus 21st dec Walk schedule was not done, with BakrI'd as a reason to excuse, and i admit my leg is awfully painful at the Heel and it is difficult to take a step as well.22nd Dec My leg show no signs of recovery. I am willing to drag my leg or Hop the distance but that is not the feat that i am lookgin for after all i had walked a distance of 26Kms barefoot on 19th. That has left its impression in its own way as even today there are tiny stones and tar or soot remaining on my leg even after repeated cleaning, as a practice after finishing the walk i make it a practice to wash my legs which includes the thighs, shin and foot in cold water, at the moment since it is winter i am delivered Ice-cold water free of charge.I wish to ponder over the Technical Strategy in doing the run.Mental fitness i pass with Flashing colours or outstanding results as per my evaluations.
I have done the 53kms repeatedly at 3:00 am in the morning in Hyderabad winter.Physical fitnessI have already walked 45 Kms twice and 53Kms four times on continuous days.So i would certainly complete the race.Would i comlplete the whole race running ?There are people who run much of it and then walk a small portion, or significant portion. That would determine the Time to complete the race and your position in the overall ranking.Would i complete the whole race on a Non stop ?To my observation non stop is better than the so called Run followed by walk and repeating that cycle in a loop to till the finish line.I give a better probability for non stop at constant pace than run and walk or its superlative form of Sprint and walk.I hope to introduce a form of sprint and stroke - sprint would be to run at full speed while stroke would be to use max leg span.There is another serious alarming issue.Before the run i drink water, i wish to say i drink a lot of water - i hope i am.That result in a tendency to urinate after about 30 Kms or so it is often during the return 26km that i face this.So if i run fast enough so that the race is covered before the 3Hours : 45Mins i can avoid this situation.how do i cover the uphill and downhillDown hill should be utilised throught speed and stride.While Uphill by Stride but how to prevent being Exhausted.Today i buried my boycott of MNC brands like Nike, Reebok, Addidas etc however unable to get to a conclusion as the range of shoes goes upto 5,***/-, 6,***/- and even 7,***/- somehow those in the range of around 3***/- seems less impresive after seeing the higher end, and now there is a consious pricking issue on bargains and intention is to buy the best and not to save on cost.25th DecemberTroubles change the Dimension , pain on my knee is less prominent but there is a undeniable,Unpretendable pain on my Heel or Soul of my Right Foot.I have been Dipping my feet in Cold Water during the past few days but the pain does not give away.Now my Mind is Troubled the willpower to Overcome the performance barrier are Squeezed to a point where i accept that it requires practice in systematic order as prescribed by those Gurus of Training.But i covered 212 Km walking in Four Days,if these pains had not attacked me i would have done.This is like a Morally crushing before the Battle.I need to fight against Time by Speed and also against Pain.28th Decemberno signs of recovery nor any further efforts to practice. It appears to me that it I may not be able to make it30th DecemberThere are no pains in walking, but i dare not try running to avoid further injury before complete recovery.2nd JanuaryI was pinged on sametime in office by my friend asking me about the state of afffairs about my run.If i do not run.i will be let down my well wishers.I need to run for them.7th JanuaryI did some work out on the Treadmill after around two weeks, a 10min run @12.5 Km/hr and another 1.5 minutes @ 20Km/hr, the determination with which i walked from Uppal to Cyber gateway and back is not there and there is a continuos fear of pain on my Leg.8th JanuaryToday i repeated the Workout on Treadmil though with a fear about strainming my leg .20mins @12.5Km/hr and another few seconds on 20Km/hr there is stiffening of the muscles which is ok , but i hope that does not reach my ligaments.
9th January
A i had targetted to Run 1hour @ 12.5 Km/hr and another 10mins @ 20Km/hr
but i did the 1hour with with 12.5Km /hr runs and walked @6.5km/hr for 50mins and then stopped to drink water and did another 10mins with walk and run there was also short burst of 20km/hr for a few times.
Good resons give way to better reasons.
Pain on my knee is not prominent but as i mentioned before there is fear about it in every step.but now pain on my heel is dominating, previously i stopped the practice because of it.and that gave a gap from 22nd dec to 7th Dec.
Atleast i have a pain to blame else what would i do ? I least want to say i can't do it.
I will Run the Mumbai Full Marathon after so much of hardwork i cannot turnback.
but today's run makes me think about changing the strategy run and walk , or Run , run slow , Run. but how can i include the Bursts of sprint into it and do the race on non stop.I believe non stop is important.But cooling or resting methods without stopping should be adopted.
so close but so far away it is not all that difficult if i want to break that barrier.
There is a lot of expectaion in doing a good run in mumbai marathon.
I had a brief chat with Dr rama krisha who mentioned about plantar fascites - a membrane or cartilage sort of covering over the heal which can get injured in case of athletes especially runners.
10th January
Pain on my heel kept me away from practice.I am on pain killer but i did not feel the pain on my Knee I hope that is healed.
Plantar fascitis is the new concern
11th January
Today i did Run / Walk together for 2.5 hours with a Speed of 13.0 km/hr to begin with and there was a lot of walking as well @ 6.5 and by the end the speed while running went from 13.0 to 13.4 and further to 14.0 and finally @15.0 Km/hr.and i managed to stay on the treadmill for 2.5 hours. But i am unable to do the Non Stop which was my strength.
there were times when it was impressive but on the whole i need to improve further.Now i feel that the time is insufficient.
There are also pain on my heel and on my knee but they are not alarming as before.
I wanted to take the pain killers to keep myself fit for the race, but unfortunately the office shift and other things around does not let me do the warm water massage for my legs and to have pain killer.
12th january
There is light pain on my heels , there is musular strain but muscular strain is expected of the 2.5 km Run yesterday,i may needed the pain killers.
I am heading for a company get together so even the hope of doing the practice @ night is ruled out.
I was rewarded by a momento by Warun nayar during the Townhall.When i recall about the factor that inspired me to commit to running hyderabad10k - Warun nayar was a factor behind me running the Hyderabad10k 2007 although i had an intention to run in 2005 , in warun's language monkey kept me away from running. Reasons are many from Good shoes, tracksuit, practice to ...........
Warun nayar is famed for his initiatives like Anti smoking Campaign , Fitness @ IT services and many more. For some reasons his initiatives and his famed powerpoint presentations are Inspiring and has resulted in fellow employees making an effort to quit smoking and an improvement in attendance in the Gym.
13th January (Sunday)
There was no practice which was done on sunday other than some stretch excercise.
14th january
another day of disaster , there was slight pain on the knee thus i could not do my rigourous practice that i had planned for the last week myself.
15th january
I did a workout on the treadmill for about 31 minutes non stop except for water after 10mins and 20 mins and speeds between 11.5 to 17.5 much of it was on 11.5 and 15.0 with 15.0 as the time for short spans and then rest on 11.5 , but there was walking to fill up the intervals.
focussing on speed makes me feel that the ability to withstand the strain to do a non stop is out of focus.
16th January
Today I have done a very good workout
I started a Run at 20km/hr for about two mins and then switched to 15km/hr for almost 30 mins and then 15mins of walk @ 7.5km/hr on grade 20 and then walked and ran for another 10 mins @ 10km/hr then again i ran @10km/hr for 34 mins and again i repeated it. then ran and walked most of it for about 22mins.Thus an overall workout of 2hours and 30mins approximately.
My different training schedules have failed due to Knee injury and also pain on the Heel and finally inability to keep up with the High and hard to achieve targets there were instances when i wanted to simply get out of it.when i felt that this may not work out , and also the new excuse to accept the training schedules by trainers which demand atleast 6 months of Practice.But for various reasons today's practice has made me stronger and induced confidence in me.
Can i touch a 15km/hr for 2hours and 30 mins. This is a very hard to achieve target and this would mean lifting the Olympus. But tommorrow would be the last day for practice , the last chance to prove the Mettle before thhe Famed Mumbai marathon to Compete with the Horses out there..
January 17th
Today doesn't seem to be a good day for practice there is muscular pain and slight pain on the knee although not very serious.
May be before Midnight i would make an attempt.
I have managed to get the tickets for mumbai but they are in waiting list.
18th January
I hurriedly left home after waking up at around 10:30 to catch the Train @ 1:20 pm
luckily i managed to travel in the sleeper compartment till night and then managed to get another berth.
19th January
I was staying in my friend Tejas mathew's home in Mumbai there was pain on my knees and soles of my feet though they were not considerably alarming. but unlike after the wednesday's practice now i am with fear , uncertainity and lack of confidence.
A Fear that i may suffer from leg aches or an inablility to finish the race.
Around the 18th Dec when i started to walk the 53km i was determined to break the 300km in 6 days a week of strong athletes, i walked due to knee injury and when i walked i was confident that i could run , when i had to stop after 4th day , it was to avoid further injury and delay in recovery before marathon. Infact i had walked the 26km stretch from cyber gateway to uppal barefoot.
But now close to the race and i even reached Mumbai and i now i have the Monkey trying to turn me away.


I have another blog on the Mumbai marathon 2008 - the Run itself.
it was a run with pain killers and lack of confidence, and uncertainity due to pain on my legs, but i did it.

I have completed the full Marathon in 4 hours and 40 mins to be ranked 183 among chip holders.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

interesting read. amazing you remember all the dates and times, also suprised you write so well !! :)

Nagesh.MVS said...

Amazing.How u remember all the dates.
Good post.

Work from home India

LONGDISTANCERUN search

Custom Search

Visitors

free counters